Why is video conversation a key asset for brands who sell online?
4min read - iAdvize
The health measures related to COVID-19 have led to an unprecedented acceleration of digital engagement, both personal and professional. As Accenture points out in its study The Platform Foundation, "Behavioral changes that have historically taken years to manifest broadly have occurred in a matter of days". The most obvious of these is video calling, a tool in which brands are becoming more interested as they facilitate an online human experience by offering something unique and personalized.
1. Widespread use of this technology during and after COVID-19
Accenture notes a 10-fold increase in the use of videoconferencing in companies. "it is likely that some new digital behaviors will stick when life returns to normal. Nearly 1/4 of Americans will continue their increased video conferencing behavior after COVID-19, while nearly 1/3 will continue increased levels of online shopping."*
The analytics platform App Annie, compared the download trends of 4 leaders in video conferencing solutions during the week of March 15-21, 2020 against an average week of late 2019. The graph below shows spectacular growth: 30x more Hangouts Meet downloads in the US and Houseparty downloads in France, along with a very sharp increase in Zoom downloads (14 to 22 times more) in the four markets observed: the US, France, the UK, and Germany.
Extensively used in the business world, video conferencing applications have naturally seen success inside of homes during the confinement, helping family and friends communicate remotely. In response to the question, will remote family meetings still take place after COVID? The consensus was that these habits were most-likely here to stay.
The explosion of these video solutions marked a unique opportunity for brands to get closer to their consumers, adjusting to their regular habits and including them in the same methods of communication their customers now use with their loved ones.
2. Video calling in customer relations: the experience that makes all the difference
Reports on e-commerce commercial activity and teleconsultations, have shown that the contacts and exchanges between customers and brands largely switched to digital during the social distancing. Online conversation became the most direct and efficient means of communication to meet the increasingly high volumes of requests during the pandemic, while at the same time being a source of customer satisfaction. In addition to messaging, the conversational experience offered by our platform includes, video chat, a tool that consumers were already using!
In concrete terms, it is possible, according to predefined targeting rules, to offer visitors a video chat window to connect with an advisor:
- The visitor clicks on a notification inviting them to enter a video call
- The chatbox opens and next to it, a window to display the video call.
The iAdvize video chat has the standard widgets and features of popular video conferencing applications. At any moment, the user has the option to cut the microphone or camera; they can also send messages or links using the chatbox at the same time. The size of the video window can be enlarged or reduced depending on the user’s navigation.
In terms of agent interface, the experience is equally fluid, with inbound call control, mirroring, and co-browsing functions (a possible option for visitors who authorize it) to see the page, and to take control of its navigation, for live assistance. The agent can also send text or links, and receive a satisfaction note at the end of the call, just as they can in traditional chat. For managers, the video conversations have performance monitoring (CSAT, NPS, average resolution time, etc.) in the reporting part of the platform, and it is also possible to monitor the performance of each video conversation.
Video conversation enriches the experience at all stages of the digital buying journey:
- Engagement and conversion: The possibility to see each other, to use non-verbal communication and to guide the user through their journey, increases consumer engagement and trust, and therefore the likelihood of purchase. The use of video offers the adviser the possibility to understand the visitor's needs more quickly and to guide him/her towards the best product for them.
- Customer Satisfaction: Video chats generate satisfaction by humanizing the digital experience with enhanced contact; it can pacify frustrating situations and can provide efficient answers to problems that can sometimes be quite complex.
- Loyalty: Integrating video chats allows brands to highlight their image and offer a unique, personalized experience to each customer, comparable to the attention they might receive in-store.
For brands, video chat optimizes resolution times, reduces the likelihood of follow-up questions, increases productivity, and ultimately reduces customer service costs.
This digital experience, which is still not widely offered on websites, is an opportunity to stand out from competitors by positioning oneself as an innovative player.
3. From tutorials to VIP services: A list of diverse use cases
If video chat is interesting to brands, it's because it offers customers enhanced experience solutions for a multitude of industries. Let's have an overview of its various applications.
- Estimating quotes. A leader in the Moving industry, Demeco has been using the iAdvize video chat since COVID hit, conducting virtual home tours and sending quotes to potential clients. This has been a solution that has helped reassure their customers while respecting the recently imposed health regulations. “The video chat is easy to use (no app to install), secure for the customer, fluid for scheduling purposes, and very reliable for estimating space volumes along with the small things that clients don’t always think of.” says Cedric Pascual, Digital & Marketing Officer at Demeco group. “The video channel of communication has been essential in continuing our activity and maintaining a connection with our clients… In the future, we’re convinced that this will be more and more indispensable for the entire profession!”
- Recreating a human and experience just like in-store, and benefiting from the services of an online personal shopper. The video conversation is a natural tool of the phygital experience, the fusion of a physical boutique and the brand’s digital website. Thanks to iAdvize, the in-store sales force is able to assist visitors with the video and afford them personalized assistance. For example, in the fashion sector, for the creation of bespoke suits.
Holding live tutorials. During the quarantine, one of our clients in the cosmetics industry integrated the video chat onto the consultation page of their website so their agents could direct the visitors to the products that were best suited for their skin type and facial features. In the DIY sector, video calls not only allow agents to offer reliable guidance for their projects but also to present the products that the customer needs.
Demonstrating Product uses: This is interesting for a variety of sectors such as automotive, high-tech, appliances, and telecommunications... In the automotive industry, showing certain details of a vehicle and answering questions live can convince a visitor to stop at a dealership or even to make a remote purchase.
*Accenture, The platform foundation, laying the groundwork now for future business recovery, 2020
**App Annie, 2020